COVID-19 Precautions: In accordance with Governor Cooper’s executive order and Duke University’s implementation of public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, masks are now required AT ALL TIMES on all Duke property including the Duke Forest and the Al Buehler Trail.
The Al Buehler Cross Country Trail is a gravel running and walking course located around the perimeter of the Washington Duke Golf Course. Although not technically part of the Duke Forest, the trail is maintained by the Office of the Duke Forest as a service to the University and the Durham community.
- Conditions along the Al Buehler Trail and Sally Meyerhoff Fitness Loop (ABT-SMFL) cannot be guaranteed. Use of the ABT-SMFL is at your own risk.
- ABT-SMFL is not immune to criminal activity. Be sure to travel with someone and/or be sure to alert someone of your whereabouts and your expected time of return.
- Take a cell phone with you. In the event of an emergency or if you observe possible unauthorized activity on ABT-SMFL, please contact Duke Police (684-2444) or call 911.
- Lock your vehicle and be sure there is nothing visible within the car that might entice someone to break into the vehicle.
- Be aware of your surroundings and possible exposure to things such as insects, tick and snake bites, allergic reactions, low hanging limbs, and tripping hazards. Please become familiar with the area’s poisonous plants and animals. Learn to identify Copperheads.
- Be aware of the weather conditions and dress appropriately. During times of high temperature and humidity, it is recommended that you carry drinking water.
- For the safety of your pets and other visitors to ABT-SMFL, dogs must be kept on leash at all times. Under county leash laws, voice command is NOT recognized as adequate restraint.
- Keep a safe distance from any machinery or vehicles operating in the on ABT-SMFL.
- Follow all posted regulations and signage. Failure to abide by these rules could result in a written citation and your loss of use of the ABT-SMFL.
Unsanctioned Race events
As of June 1, 2014 the Office of the Duke Forest will no longer administer races on the Al Buehler Trail. If another entity at Duke is found to serve in this capacity, their information will be posted here.
Read about legendary Duke cross-country coach Al Buehler.