The Duke Forest comprises over 7,000 acres of land in Durham, Orange, and Alamance counties across six divisions and one protected natural area. Public access is available via gated entrances in all 6 divisions. For authorized recreation locations and detailed road and trail information, please purchase a set of Duke Forest Recreation maps.
Locator Map (click on image below for a larger version)
The Duke Forest Teaching and Research Laboratory has no parking. Typically, people park near the forest gates alongside the road in the NCDOT right of way. Please hide, secure, or take with you all valuables. Car break-ins are always a possibility.
Before heading out to the Duke Forest, please read out Regulations and Safety Considerations.
Location of Duke Forest Office on Campus
The Duke Forest Office is located on Duke’s West Campus in Suite A142 of the LSRC. Click here for print-friendly directions and map of the office location. Visitors should contact the Duke Forest Office (919-613-8013) before stopping by to ensure that a staff member will be available and to check the status of the Duke Forest parking space.
Directions to Duke’s West Campus
- From Chapel Hill via US. 15-501 North
Take exit for NC 751. Turn right onto NC 751, make the next left turn onto Erwin Road, turn right at the third light onto Research Drive …
- From Hillsborough via 1-85 North
Exit onto NC 147 – Durham Freeway. Take first exit off Durham Freeway onto 15-501 S to Chapel Hill, stay in right lane, and take second exit to NC 751. Turn left onto NC 751, go under the highway, turn at next left onto Erwin Road, turn right at the third light onto Research Drive …
- From Raleigh via I-85 South
Take the left-lane exit for US 15-501 South Bypass – Duke University/Chapel Hill. Continue on US 15-501 to the fourth exit; a right-lane exit for NC 751. Turn left onto NC 751, go under the highway, turn at next left turn onto Erwin Road, turn right at the third light onto Research Drive …
- From Raleigh via I-40 West
Exit at signs to Durham via the Durham Freeway (NC 147). Take Durham Freeway to Fulton Street exit. Turn left onto Fulton Street, take to end, and make a right onto Erwin Road, turn left at first traffic light onto Research Drive …
Directions to Duke Forest Parking Space on Duke’s West Campus
You must have prior approval to park in the Duke Forest space adn you must receive our temporary parking pass from our office.
- Travel south on Research Drive until you get to the traffic circle.
- Go one-quarter of the way around the traffic circle and turn right onto Circuit Drive.
- Drive a short distance on Circuit Drive and turn left into the North Building parking lot (North Building is a large, red brick building).
- Park in the third parking space on the right, which is reserved for visitors to the Office of the Duke Forest.
- Walk down the sidewalk on Circuit Dr. to Environment Hall, which will be on your left. Enter at the main entrance, walking across the ‘sky bridge’. Once you have entered the building walk down the steps to the 1st floor, exit through the main doors, and use the walkway connector to the LSRC A Wing.
- Proceed through two large foyers and head left down the hallway. The Duke Forest Office is the first on your right, Suite A142.