The Duke Forest is comprised of over 7,000 acres in three counties in Central NC. The landbase is not contiguous and can only be accessed via indicated Forest gates, providing that all Regulations and Safety Guidelines are followed. Detailed maps can be found at every major Duke Forest gate.
Tips for orienting in the Duke Forest
- Take note of the road where you parked and the gate number you walked through (white numbers on the green gates).
- Service can be spotty. Do not rely on GPS based apps—which also often show misrepresentations. Study and take a picture of the map posted at the trailhead (All major trailheads popular with recreational visitors have maps).
- Follow the Duke Blue Dot 🔵 blazes for authorized foot trails. If you have stepped off of a Fire Road onto a trail without a Blue Dot, you are in an unauthorized location of the Duke Forest)
- Remember: Dogs must remain on leash at all times in our research forest. And bikes are not allowed on foot trails. Please abide by posted signage.
General Locator Map
To download a general locator map, click on the link below.
Order Recreation Maps
Detailed maps showing all forest roads, foot trail, creeks, and topographic contours may be purchased from the Office of the Duke Forest. To purchase recreation maps, please use the secure online order form below. Maps will be mailed to you after your order has been processed.
Please note the following:
- Fulfillment may be delayed because we only go into our offices once per week because of the COVID-19 restrictions.
- Conditions along roads and trails cannot be guaranteed.
- Parking is not allowed in front of forest gates.
- Parking is often only available in road right-of-ways, which are not maintained by or under the authority of the Office of the Duke Forest.
- When purchasing maps, we will add your email address to the e-News email newsletter so that you can keep up with the latest announcements from the Duke Forest, and help us keep the Forest healthy and strong for years to come.
The Map Order form is temporarily disabled while we work on our inventory.