To make shelter reservations, you must complete the shelter reservation form linked below and receive confirmation from Duke Forest staff.
Bobby Ross, Jr. Memorial Shelter (Gate C)
The Bobby Ross, Jr. Memorial Shelter includes a picnic shelter with a Duke stone fireplace, four large picnic tables (50-75 person capacity), and a grill. The site is near the head of the Shepherd Nature Trail, a beautiful 0.8 mile interpretive trail. The site does not have an outhouse, electricity, or running water. The shelter is situated near the trail head for the Shepherd Nature Trail, a self-guided 0.8-mile trail through the surrounding Forest. Read a comparison of the picnic shelter facilities below. Fee: $45.00
The combination to the entrance gate lock will be sent when payment has been received.
- Follow NC 751 north towards U.S. 70
- Gate C will be the second gate on the right past Constitution Dr.
- GPS Coordinates: 36.012, -78.974
R.L. Rigsbee Shelter (Gate F)
The R. L. Rigsby Shelter includes a picnic shelter, several tables (50 person capacity), grill, outhouse, and a volleyball court (ball not provided). The site does offer electricity and lights but no running water.
Read a comparison of the picnic shelter facilities below. Fee: $50.00
The combination to the lock for the entrance gate and the power box will be sent when payment has been received.
- Follow NC 751 north towards U.S. 70 and pass Kerley Rd.
- Gate F will be the on the left immediately after Gate 12 (under the power lines) and before the railroad bridge
- GPS Coordinates: 36.0265, -78.9893
Before requesting a shelter reservation please read the following carefully:
- If you are a member of the public, or a member Duke University community (but not including undergraduates), please read the General Public Regulations.
- If you are Duke undergraduate student or undergraduate student group, your reservation process is different. Please read the information under Undergraduate Student Reservation Process below.
- If you plan to have alcohol at your event, you must read and agree to abide by Duke’s campus-wide Alcohol Policy, assuring all additional regulations (Undergraduate Alcohol Policy | Graduate Alcohol Policy) are followed if undergraduate students and/or persons under age 21 will be or may be in attendance.
- Groups wishing to bring in special equipment or items such as portable toilets, tents, catering facilities, etc. must identify this in their initial shelter request and receive authorization from the department administrator prior to completing the reservation process. You will be responsible for coordinating all deliveries and pickups related to the special equipment. If your equipment requires extra days for delivery or pickup, you must book those additional days as well–except in some special cases.
- When you reserve a shelter, we will add you to our News & Events newsletter so you can keep in touch with the Duke Forest. You can unsubscribe at any time.
An Important Policy on Firewood:
We do not allow firewood to be brought into the forest; instead, we provide it for you. Unfortunately, firewood is a great way for many forest pests and diseases to catch a ride and find new forests to eat. Check out this brochure for more info: Don’t Move Firewood.
Comparison of Picnic Sheter Facilities
|Bobby Ross, Jr. Shelter (Gate C)||R.L. Rigsbee Shelter (Gate F)|
Duke University Undergraduate Student Reservation Process
- Contact the Office of the Duke Forest at (919) 613-8013 to check on shelter availability for the date requested.
- Download and submit a Undergraduate Student Shelter Request (page 2) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Await a response from the Office of the Duke Forest to determine whether or not the event has been approved.
- Upon receiving an approval notice for the event from the Office of the Duke Forest, pay for the picnic shelter rental and bring a $500 check for the deposit, as well as a completed copy of pages 3 and 4 of the Undergraduate Student Shelter Regulations and Request to the Office.
- If necessary, agree to abide by all Duke University alcohol policies and undergraduate alcohol policies and submit a staffing request to Duke University Police and provide the Office of the Duke Forest with appropriate confirmation documentation.
- If necessary, demonstrate compliance with any additional conditions required by the Office of the Duke Forest in the approval notice.
- Reservations may be cancelled at any time if these steps are not followed, or if any requests by the Office of the Duke Forest are not completed.