The Duke Forest is private land owned and managed by Duke University as an outdoor laboratory. Limited public recreation is permitted in the Duke Forest as long as it does not conflict with teaching and research projects and provided that regulations and safety instructions are followed. Use of the Duke Forest is at your own risk.
Permissible activities include (also see more information under the Recreation menu):
- Walking, hiking, and running along forest roads and foot trails.
- Biking and horseback riding on forest roads only.
- Fishing with a valid NC fishing license.
- Group activities that are approved in advance (click here to submit a group use request).
Detailed maps showing all forest roads, foot trail, creeks, and topographic contours may be purchased from the Office of the Duke Forest. To purchase recreation maps, please contact the Office at 919-613-8013 or send a check with your name and mailing address made out to Duke University for $8 to Box 90332, Duke Forest, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708.
Please note the following:
- Conditions along roads and trails cannot be guaranteed.
- Parking is not allowed in front of forest gates.
- Parking is often only available in road right-of-ways, which are not maintained by or under the authority of the Office of the Duke Forest.